top of page

Same sex couples

As a same-sex couple, can we have a service at all?


We are very happy to welcome you for a service of prayer and thanksgiving following a civil marriage at the Registry Office.

Can we get married in St Catherine's


It is not possible for Gay and Lesbian couples to be legally married in a Church of England church.  This is the current legal position and until Parliament and the General Synod of the Church or England change the law it will not be possible.

Can we exchange rings in church?

Yes – of course.

Can we make promises to one another in church?

Yes – of course.

Bells? Organ? Photographs? Confetti?

Yes – of course, on the same terms as for any other wedding.

What order of service can we use?

We will help you put together a service that is meaningful for you as a couple and that speaks of of God’s love and the wonderful love expressed in your relationship.

So could we register a Civil Partnership at St Catherine's?

No – The Church of England does not allow Civil Partnerships to be registered in its churches. If you want a Civil Partnership then you need to have that conducted by a registrar, you could come to church after a Civil Partnership in the same way as following a civil marriage.

What would it cost?

There are no legal fees associated with a service following a Civil Partnership or Marriage. We therefore ask simply for a voluntary contribution of £150 which we ask you to Gift Aid, if possible.

bottom of page